1.27.2011

Miles and Miles...

1741.33 miles

  That's how far I am from what I used to call home.
Which in this situation is a word used to describe the location of everything that came before where I currently am. It's a two story beige house in the country. It's four Rhodesian Ridge-backs and a one very tiny cracked out Dachshund. It's a four-wheel drive Toyota and 20 acres of land. It's my high school and my teachers. And it's more than all of that. It's generations of my family. It's my parents, grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins, and nephews.  It's my education. It's my ethics. It's my morals. It's my background. It's my DNA. It's security. It's known



22.96 square miles.









That's the size of the island I now call home.

Which in this situation is a word used to describe the location of where I currently inhale and exhale. It's Manhattan. It's the School of Visual Arts. It's a small six person apartment on the 16th floor. It's a bed and a desk. It's a roommate. But it's more than all that. It's all the opportunities. It's readjusting. It's new relationships. It's learning to cope. It's growing up, even more. It's the promise of what I am becoming. It's a risk. It's unknown.






1 comment:

  1. 22.96 square miles covered with the footprints of some of the greatest artists the world has ever seen. And now you are walking in them, expanding them, deepening them. How incredibly exciting!

    Somebody broke into my mom's house while she was living in Hawaii, so I bought her a Ridgeback for her birthday. Great dog. I sleep better at night now.

    ReplyDelete